Monday, March 12, 2012

DIY Candy Bouquet Centerpieces


 Recently, I organized my mom's surprise 50th Birthday party, which didn't exactly turn out to be a surprise, but it was a success regardless!  I had made these centerpieces a long time ago with mylar paper and used small metallic pots instead of the Chinese take out containers, but I think I like the look of the tissue paper and Chinese take out containers better, it gives the bouquet a softer feel.  How do you make them?  Easy!

What you'll need:
  • Various Colors of Tissue Paper
  • Various Kinds of Candy
  • Chinese Take Out Containers
  • Styrofoam Balls
  • Marbles or Sand in Small Plastic Baggies
  • Floral Wire
  • Scissors

First, I cut up many different colored pieces of tissue paper into squares.  I would say these were approximately 6"x6" or so.  I bought the Chinese take out containers at Hobby Lobby (near the party decorations/card/wrapping paper aisles) and also bought the Styrofoam balls there as well.  I also added some decorative marbles to the bottom of the Chinese take out container, below the Styrofoam ball to act as a weight so the bouquet didn't get top-heavy, I'm sure you could use sand in a plastic baggie though too.
  

Next, I found the center of each piece of tissue paper, twisted it a little bit, then wrapped floral wire around the bottom  until secure and left a stem about 1" to 2" long.


Then, I used a similar method for the candy!  My mom's Birthday was around Valentine's Day, so I recommend using holiday-themed candy, it's more fun that way!  Either wrap the wire around the bottom of the candy like you did with the tissue paper OR if you're using mini chocolate bars like Hershey's or Mr. Goodbars, you can just stick the piece of floral wire up into the chocolate until it's about halfway into the candy bar, then leave a 1" to 2" stem.  Suckers work well too, and you don't have to put wire around the bottom of them, you can just stick the whole stick into the Styrofoam ball!


Next, arrange the tissue paper and candy sporadically like in the above photo by pushing the stems from each piece into the Styrofoam ball in the base.

VOILA, you have some awesome looking candy bouquet centerpieces!  I made 6 of these using different colored Chinese take out containers for each (pink, orange, teal, purple, and green).  These would make great centerpieces for Birthdays, Anniversaries, Weddings, anything!

Please leave your comments/questions below, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment